3/31/2006

Remember, remember, the fifth of November...

I don't usually write about my daily life. Aside from it being dull and boring I really don't see the benefit in pointing out my daily yackety-yak. So why am I still talking about it? Good point.

So I watched two movies this past weekend. The first one, Inside Man, started with an Indian song called "Chaiyah Chaiyah," which if I recall correctly had something to do with Sharukh Khan horsing around atop a moving train. At first, I thought I was in the wrong theatre; then I thought I should apologize to my husband for spitting my coke/popcorn medley in his face, but why spoil him, right? Back to the movie, they played an entire Indian song! The movie was good too. Go Spike Lee! I also enjoyed the bit about the Sikh guy being mistaken for an Arab and the rant that followed thereafter, which included phrases like 'Random selection my arse' ' I'm not Arab.' In response to which one of the African American cop blurts out: At least you can get a cab. LOL! Priceless.

Lesson Learned: I'm not exclusive in my trials. There are plenty of others going through the same - if not worse - ordeals.

Second movie, V for Vendetta, started with this intro, which I have been practicing in front of a mirror:
(And yes it is because I mix my V's with my W’s. Go ahead, laugh all you want!)

This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis-à-vis an introduction, and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V. (V's introduction of himself to Evey)

And yes, he was like a crazy person. The movie was interesting but whats even more fascinating to me is that I understood a lot of the undertones because of the DAILY SHOW. If you're an avid fan like myself, you know what I'm talking about. Here's an example:

V for Vendetta:
V: Behind this mask is a man, and behind this man is an idea. And ideas are bulletproof.

Daily Show:
When Mr. Stewart asked Mr. Colbert for his take on whether Saddam was dead or alive, the correspondent answered, "One thing is certain: If Saddam is dead, it greatly reduces his ability to control Iraq."

But wouldn't his death end his control entirely? asked Mr. Stewart.

Not necessarily, argued Mr. Colbert: "When this man appears in public no one is sure it's actually him, and yet he's held an iron grip on power since 1979 — 24 years of brutal dictatorship, all while only maybe existing.

"The point is we can kill Saddam Hussein but we won't win the war until we kill the idea of Saddam Hussein. So what we need to do is develop bombs that kill ideas."

Lesson Learned: More and more people should watch The Daily Show.

I enjoyed the movie - Mr. Smith as V was super- but i don’t agree with its message. There were a lot of interesting ideas in this movie - it was more philosophical than action-packed - but im not sure I agree with such violent means to get your point across, as in the real world that kind of behavior only strengthens those already in power.